Sunday, August 14, 2011

I'm Getting Hooked on the Torpedo Factory Marina!

"Breaking Through" 14x11 oil on panel


When I was first asked to paint out on the Torpedo Factory Dock I said sure, no problem but I have to admit I wasn't really looking forward to it.  This was not a place I was eager to paint.  Now I have no idea why I felt that way.  Maybe it was a matter of familiarity breeding contempt. I spend so much time here at the Torpedo Factory but  never stopped on the dock long enough to ponder the possibilities for a painting.  Also there was the matter of all those boats!  Who knew I would find I really like painting boats.  Besides the boats there is so much interesting architecture, lots of people and frankly just so many choices.  I can't wait to come back down to paint!

This morning started out dark and stormy.  When I arrived on the dock it was hard to see my canvas in the light under the arcade but it was that or get wet.  Three other intrepid souls braved the elements with me.  We were soon to be rewarded!  The sky started doing some pretty amazing things as the sun tried and tried to break through.  It was hard to commit to the moment to work the painting from but I settled on the pearly light that started to win the battle with the clouds.  We had quite a cloud show for the rest of the morning. Some moments there was brilliant sunshine and then the sky would darken again for another brief shower.  The colors became more intense as the morning wore on and I was often tempted to change my plan.  The puddles that I left an expanse of deck for dried up before I could paint them in which left me with a dilemma. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.  I wish I had at least indicated them in the beginning. I tried a couple of things like adding the large shadow that appeared thanks to the nearby tree but it didn't work with the time and lighting I had committed to.  I settled for the splash of light hitting the edge of the dock near the bench and might add a little more at the bottom edge of the painting.  I'll see.  Anyway this is the painting a la sushi before I start meddling with it.  I like this one.  I painted next to Tricia Ratliff and we kept up a lively conversation in between posing for photos with tourists:)

I also returned to the scene of the crime.  I have no idea why it took so long for me to see such an obvious mistake in my painting from last week, "Gray Day".  One of my flaws is that I am very literal.  That is not good when creating a painting.  Yes, the roof was that brick red, yes that piling was that tall and looked like it was part of the roof support.  Were those things good for the painting? NO!  I have been told time and again, remember the eye loves an edge.  My mistake brought the eye immediately to the weakest part of the painting and away from the area I wanted you to be drawn into.  I corrected it by softening the roof edge, lightening it and shortening the piling.  I may even shorten it more.  Now at least the painting works better.
I think I will try to get back down to the dock during the week!
(Problem Solved?)



No comments:

Post a Comment