Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Historic Black and White Exhibit

"Snow in the Park" 11x14 oil on gessoboard
     The Black and White Exhibit, one of the oldest shows at the Salmagundi Club NYC, opened yesterday in the Main Gallery.  The two black and white paintings shown here are on exhibit in that show from Monday, January 21st to Friday, February 8th, 2013.  The awards reception will be on Friday, February 1st from 6:00 to 8:00.  Check the Club website for gallery hours and information on this and other shows that have just openend at the Salmagundi.  There is a lot to see this month! www.salmagundi.org

     
"Starbucks" 11x14 oil on gessoboard

      I have been working in the studio and I am surrounded by my summer and early fall plein air paintings.  I don't have any winter ones this year.  It isn't because it has been too cold.  This is the first arctic blast that we have had.  I think it is because, without snow, I just haven't been enticed enough to get out and paint.  However, recently the skies and dramatic light have been luring me .  I also have been spending time with my George Bellows Exhibition Catalogue and I am aware that some of my favorite paintings were his winter ones.  I think I am just not very adept at redering leafless trees.  Something to work on.  Yesterday I did a small 6x8 inch painting from memory.  The scene is one I have passed almost everyday for the last 30 years so it was not a stretch to be able to paint it alla prima.  It is the farm house at the Madeira School where my horse Gypsy lives.  The sky was yesterday's sky so all I had to do was look out the window and elaborate.  I want to do more of these little ones and expand my palette a bit.  I never use Prussian blue and I think I will give it a go.  I'll keep you posted!  www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com
"The Farmhouse, January" 6x8 oil on linen panel

No comments:

Post a Comment