Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A New Start

"Summer Pasture", 24x30 oil on linen, roughed in
     I have just started a new studio painting that I have already titled "Summer Pasture".  I have been very inspired by the recent blue and white skies over the acres of green and gold pasture that I experience on an almost daily basis.  The colors have been so clear and intense, offering wonderful contrasts of light and shade.  I am always happy when working with blue!

     As you can see in the photo instead of making a small color study for the new painting I have propped up the recent "Farmhouse" mini (on my right) and behind it my recent "Blue Ridge" painting.  These two will guide me with my color choices.  On my work station there is a preliminary sketch for the painting executed on graph paper to make my placement of the composition in the larger format easier.  I also propped up the drawings I had done of my mare Ggypsy grazing.
       If you read my posts while painting "Blue Ridge" then you may remember that I mentioned I had intended to add horses but the painting had progressed to the stage that they would have looked tacked on and so I left them out.  This time I am placing them from the very beginning and letting them develop along with the rest of the painting.  I have also lowered the horizon line which is another thing I mentioned wanting to try next time. 
       I have used the same underpainting of cadmium orange mixed with gesso that I used in both the Farmhouse and Blue Ridge.  This is still my favorite for a sunny day painting. 
End of first painting session
     I needed to stop sooner than I wanted to because the light really disappeared.  A storm was threatening (never materialized) and I hate going from natural light to studio lights in the same session.
     I am happy with the layout of this but will probably play with the placement of the horses tomorrow.  I changed their locations from what I had in the drawing but now I think I prefer where they were in the drawing after all.

     A number of paintings are going on exhibit.  You can find 6 of my paintings at American Painting Gallery, 5118 MacArthur Blvd. NW, Washington DC from June 8 to September 1, 2013. The show is a WSLP show and is
"The Art of Washington DC" www.classicamericanpainting.com  Coming up in July is "Celebrating 100 Years", another WSLP show that will be held at the McBride Gallery, 215 Main Street, Annapolis, MD.  I will have two paintings in that show which will run from July 7 to 21, 2013.www.mcbridegallery.com
This Thursday the Oil Painters of America Summer Salon Exhibit opens at the Crooked Tree Art Center in Petoskey, Michigan.  This juried show will run from June 20 to August 31, 2013.  My painting "Morning, Washington Square Park" will be on exhibit.  I have received the catalogue and it is beautiful!  So many wonderful paintings! You can view the show on the OPA website by following the menu on the right hand side of the home page www.oilpaintersofamerica.com  Enjoy!

Cover of the OPA Summer Salon Show Catalogue

No comments:

Post a Comment