Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Sunday on the C&O Canal

The Last Sunday in May, (C&O Canal Georgetown) 12x16 oil on panel.
     Another summer memory is that of painting along the C&O Canal in Georgetown on May 31st. This was a joint paintout of the Washington Society of Landscape Painters and the Mid Atlantic Plein Air Painters. Artists were scattered throughout Georgetown and it was fun to meet some new artists and gather with some of them for a critique of the morning's work.
      I selected this spot along the canal between 31st and 30th streets and it turned out to be a good choice because as I was setting up my French easel one of the screws attaching a leg could not be tightened. Fortunately for me just to the right of this view is a waist high stone wall. I was able to fold the legs and set up as a table easel. I spent some of the time standing and some sitting next to it on the wall. It worked fine.
     Just beyond the stone wall was the balcony for the Sea Catch restaurant filled with patrons enjoying the fine morning. I had an appreciative audience :)  However, I must say I was starving by the time I finished and was tempted to skip the critique and join the diners on the balcony for a hearty lunch!

A happy but hungry artist

No comments:

Post a Comment