Sunday, October 11, 2015

More DC summer paintings

"Willard Hotel Nocturne" 8x10 oil on panel
   Knowing there would be at least two small works shows I would be entering this fall I did a number of small paintings this summer in preparation. This one is a particular favorite as it was a lovely summer night and the full moon and romantic lights from the Willard and Cafe du Parc in front of it lent a fairy tale feeling to the scene. The view is from the edge of Freedom Plaza on 14th street. The fountain was not on so I had a clear view over to the hotel.
   This is not a plein air painting. It was developed by making a sketch of the scene during the daylight hours and then adding the lights and sky I experienced at night. As you can tell by now, I like to paint cityscapes. I think that cities look their best when lots of lights are on. That is why so many of my paintings are rainy day or evening/night paintings. Early morning can be beautiful as well but I really like the twinkle factor of the other end of the day.
"The C&O Canal at Wisconsin Avenue" 6x12 oil on panel
     This little one was sketched plein air from one of the pedestrian bridges over the canal looking back toward Wisconsin Avenue. Since the star of this scene is the canal I decided to eliminate the traffic that is always pretty heavy on Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown. I had just had dinner at Filomena which is a well known Italian restaurant in Georgetown and is in that white building on the left.

     SALMAGUNDI AUCTION UPDATE:  "Mainland Lights" from my last post SOLD at auction on Friday night. "When the Clouds Parted" will be auctioned this coming Sunday, October 18th at 2:00 P.M.
You can go to www.liveauctioneers.com to see all the artwork available. My painting is lot #63. I can tell you that if you have any interest in owning one of my paintings this is the most economical way to acquire one. Just create a free account at the above link and place a bid online or by phone or live during the auction. You can also go to www.salmagundi.org and get instructions for bidding there.  I do this twice a year as it is a fundraiser for the Salmagundi Club. I accept the fact that the paintings sell well below market value but I believe in supporting this institution and I also consider it great publicity. Where else is a guy in a tux going to stand there holding one of my paintings and talk about me, my affiliations, my gallery representation and the virtues of my work :-)  I consider it a win all way around, for the Club, the collector and for me!

2 comments: