Monday, March 4, 2019

Love Those Nocturnes!

"The Cove at Anna's" 18x24 oil on panel
     I never tire of painting or viewing nocturnes.  Every time I paint one I try to explore new colors of the night as well as how to apply the paint to give the sense of depth that is found in the night sky. A flat application of paint doesn't cut it for me.
    This particular painting was created with three tools. A two inch bristle brush, a round nose palette knife (bulk of the painting) and a #4 round bristle brush. I kept the palette simple and all colors were mixed from indigo blue, cerulean, ultramarine blue, alizarin crimson, vermilion, naples yellow, ochre and white.

     The inspiration for the painting was the cove at Anna's Waterfront restaurant on Casco Bay in Maine.  I had enjoyed a wonderful lobster dinner at the restaurant with friends and when it was time to leave we were greeted with this wonderful, peaceful, full moon night.  I eliminated the cars in the parking lot and the flagpole to simplify the image and focus on the quiet roll of the tide, the sources of light in that velvety sky and the reflections on the Bay.
     I didn't need a photo reference for this one. It was painted from the heart.

UPCOMING SHOW
"Spring Mix" at the Peninsula Gallery, Lewes Delaware. April 6th through 29th. This is a Washington Society of Landscape Painters group show with a floral or garden theme.

See more of my work at www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment