Friday, May 17, 2019

Maine to North Carolina

"Morning", 24x48 oil on linen


         My focus has continued to be on the coast but my last two paintings have depicted scenes from my days on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The month of May always brought warm days and beautiful sunrises that I often enjoyed sitting on the beach with a mug of coffee. The painting above, simply titled "Morning" was painted from memory with some color references taken from old plein air paintings. I wanted to keep the brush moving and keep things loose rather than get caught up in painting intricate, lacey foam patterns, although that can be fun and interesting to do.  I wanted to emphasize the movement of the surf and still think I could do more in that direction.

         Next up will be a nocturnal seascape and I have been doing some preliminary sketches. I am thinking it will involve a rocky shoreline and rough surf, so yup, I am heading back to Maine. Then again a quiet North Carolina nocturne.......?

No comments:

Post a Comment