Sunday, January 29, 2012

The First Paint Out of 2012; Fletcher's Boat House, Washington DC

Fletcher's Cove on the Potomac

As far as I got before lunch and critique
                                       Today I painted at Fletcher's Boat House with the Washington Society of Landscape Painters.  It was chilly but bright, at least for a little while. The light at 9:30 was beautiful and I rushed to get as much of the light/dark areas deliniated because I knew we were in for some clouds.  Most of the morning the light was rather flat and gray but I stuck to the brighter palette I started with.  Actually I think the painting dulled a little in spite of my attempt to ignore the gray.  I will look at it again tomorrow and perhaps liven it up a little.
                                     The WSLP is a group of 40 landscape painters and since the roster is full it takes a while to become a full member.  I am a candidate and as such am welcome at all their paint outs.  That is the most important thing to me so I don't mind the wait.  I am number 8 on the wait list so it will be a couple of more years before I can move up. Paint Outs are on the last Sunday of each month and are always within an hours drive of Washington DC.  Fletcher's is practically in my backyard so I wanted to be sure to attend this one. Good thing it is close by because I forgot my painting.  Yes, you read that right.  I got home and opened my wet paint carrier only to realize I had left the painting leaning against a tree after the critique.  So much for talking and packing.  My husband drove me back to Fletcher's and at first I thought the painting was gone because it was not against the tree.  The wind had blown it over and it was face down in the leaves!  I considered leaving it as a plein air collage but plucked out the leaves and grit at home.  If you have been reading these posts then I think this makes painting # four that has gotten the face down in something treatment:)

The group at lunch before the critique
Here is everyone enjoying a picnic lunch.  Except for me.  I also FORGOT MY LUNCH!   This was not exactly the Normandy Invasion for me. 

Tomorrow I will post the finished "Deer Track on the Dune" as well as the progress on "6th and Constitution".  The latter is in its early stages and I have actually remembered to document it. I already showed you the beginnings of "Deer Track" in the post "Revisiting December on the Outer Banks".




"Meet Me Down the Village" 11x14 oil on panel
       ON EXHIBIT at the 134th Black and White Show at theSalmagundi Club in NYC , 47 5th Avenue.   The Black and White Show is their most historic exhibit and creating something for it was a bit of a challenge for me.  I love color but keeping with the black and white theme really gave me an opportunity to work on values.  I am happy they selected this one and I will be even happier if it sells!  The show is in the main gallery and will be up from January 23rd to February 10th. http://www.salmagundi.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment