Friday, February 1, 2013

Storm Blowing In

"Storm Clouds and Farmhouse" 6x8 oil on linen panel
     This is Wednesday's painting.  It was day two of an extraordinary warm up.  The snow melted away on Tuesday and we enjoyed comfortable temperatures in the high 60's on into Wednesday.  We didn't see much sun on this day, however, as a strong storm was on its way.  The clouds painted here were the harbinger of that.  Boy did it rain! 

     I am hooked on the farmhouse.  I don't plan on painting these little paintings everyday but I do plan to do some each month year round. I will finish next January.  I think it will be interesting and I am already wondering how to frame and display them.  The winter paintings have been afternoon paintings but I can guarantee you that as soon as the temperature starts heading to triple digits again you will be seeing morning paintings.  The light will then be coming from the left. 
     There are plenty of scenes I could have chosen for this project but when I painted the first one of this series I wasn't thinking of continuing for the whole year.  I selected this view because I see it everyday and have always loved the simplicity of that little farmhouse.  The building on the left is only two years old and is a new storage barn.  The house is quite old and fits the landscape perfectly.  It sits at the highest point and creates a focal point from all the pastures. I am reminded of what I was taught when I studied landscape design.  Find the genius loci of the place and design accordingly.  This little house respects that. 
www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com  www.salmagundi.org

     

No comments:

Post a Comment