Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Afternoons at the Barn

"From the Barn" 8x10 oil on panel

      The summer is rolling by and there is so much I had planned on painting that I fear I will run out of time.  Time management is always a challenge for me.  There never seem to be enough hours in the day to do all I need to do.  Most mornings are spent with my horse on the beautiful property you see painted here.  You may recognize the scene in the background from my "Farmhouse" series.  I have learned to keep my painting gear packed so that when the occasion arises I am ready.  This week the weather and skies were wonderful so after my time with Gypsy I set to work painting.

      Rather than spend valuable time traveling to different sites I have decided to focus here for awhile.  There is no lack of subject matter and I get to feel good about spending the time out painting and at the same time keep a handle on my time.  The more I paint here the more ideas for future paintings I have.  I think it has something to do with my connection to this place.  I have had horses here for over 30 years. I know and love the place well and I hope that will come across in the paintings.

     The painting below is the most recent one and was painted the day before yesterday on a fairly breezy afternoon.  I had set up my easel under a walnut tree which kept me cool and gave me shade.  It also gave me a knock in the head:) It is early for the tree to be dropping it's fruit but the breeze was strong enough to knock a couple of walnuts free.  I took one to the head and one to the shoulder.  My only concern was taking one to the palette!  That could have been a mess but happily my palette remained walnut free.

"The Barn at the Top of the Hill", 8x10 oil on panel


No comments:

Post a Comment