Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Finished Painting and a New Interest

"Lunchtime in Lafayette Square" 16x20 oil on panel
     I never posted the finished version of "Lunchtime in Washington Square" that  I had been writing about. Actually, it has been finished for a while now but as you can see by the date of my last post I have not been blogging in some time. I also haven't updated my website, nor have I posted in the various artist groups I participate with on Facebook. I have needed to ignore whatever I can to find enough time to paint. I am now ready for the June show at American Paintings Fine Art in DC. Frames just arrived today and I am looking forward to starting that part of the job!

    Besides painting I have been studying. I have become very interested in nocturnes and have been absorbing all I can on the subject. The American Tonalists provide a lot of inspiration. I have posted some of my own nocturnes here in the past but they have been few and far between. Please keep
checking in as I promise to be posting my efforts in that genre.
      Here is one I am working on now. In February I posted a photo of my painting in progress along the banks of the Potomac on a very mild winter day. I used that little plein air painting as the study for this 10x20 nocturne of the same view of the Kennedy Center. I need to work on the trees and shrub in the foreground and add the lights to the bridge which will be reflected in the water. It has come along rather quickly and I am already looking forward to the next one!

Untitled Nocturne in progress, 10x20 oil on linen panel
      ON EXHIBIT:   THE SALMAGUNDI MASTERS EXHIBIT, until May 22nd in the newly renovated Main Gallery of the Salmagundi Club NYC.  "Different  Paths" (18x24 oil on panel) has been held over from the Annual Members Show for this special exhibit. I am getting a lot of mileage out of that painting :-)  www.salmagundi.org


No comments:

Post a Comment