Friday, April 25, 2014

Painting From The Banks Of The Potomac

"April at Violette's Locke" 10x20 oil on linen panel ( in progress)
     Yesterday was a beauty! How fortunate that it was also the day I was planning on meeting friends from the Washington Society of Landscape Painters at , what was for me, a new location on the banks of the Potomac and C&O Canal, Violette's Locke.  This is my new favorite place on my favorite river!  There were so many inspiring views to choose from. Broad views of the Potomac from high ground, views of the Canal and tow path and Locke #21, as well as small rocky beaches along the river. I chose the latter.
      I spent at least 15 minutes turning left and right trying to decide whether to paint the downriver view or upriver. Upriver had the advantage of a small waterfall, more rapid water and fallen timber. However, downriver meant my easel and palette would be out of the sun and also provided an enticing movement of water around rocks and the island between my location and the broader river. With such brilliant light I decided to save my eyes and take the downriver view. I was very happy with my choice. The sound of the rushing water was so soothing!
       There is very little left to do on this painting. I want to lower the tree line on the opposite side of the river and perhaps cool it down a little. The foreground greens need more yellow. In that bright light they seemed light enough but in the studio I felt just a few strokes of yellow here and there would be good. That will be all. I would like to return here soon!

      Here is another plein air painting of the Potomac. This one was painted last July at Great Falls. I have just varnished this one. I really like the long horizontal panels for my river paintings.

" The Great Falls of the Potomac" 12x24 oil on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment