Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Another Black and White

"The Corner of Union and King", 11x14 oil on gessoboard
     Today's painting is another in my series of small black and white or sepia and white paintings. I am finding these both fun and convenient to do.  I say convenient because I can work on them in my studio under any light conditions which, given my schedule right now, is really helpful. They are also a good foil to my intensely colored recent work.  Today was a great day to have been in the mood for a black and white because the day started bright but by afternoon the skies turned dark and we had quite a storm.  I flipped on the lights and just kept going.

      I have purchased many a cup of coffee in the Starbuck's that is pictured here.  This is my stomping ground.  On the left is a corner of the Torpedo Factory where the Art League Gallery is located and parked next to it is the King Street trolley.  King Street dead ends as you see it here on the banks of the Potomac River. This is Old Town Alexandria. Old Town was once a thriving port and is full of wonderful 18th century buildings.  The doorways are often a subject for artists.  The brick and stone building that Starbucks is located in was once a warehouse in the 18th century. I plan on sketching and painting around town this summer and in my next post I will show you some of the sketchbooks I keep.  I especially like my minis that I carry in my handbag and you would be surprised at some of the paintings that came from such tiny drawings!  http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

          

No comments:

Post a Comment