Saturday, May 12, 2012

Getting Ready for the Ratner Museum

Front of Invitation to the show at the Ratner Museum
     I am sure there is a better way to upload an image of this card but for the sake of expediency I just photographed the front and put it up here.  As you can gather from my lack of posts lately, I have been busy.  Part of what is keeping me busy is preparing for this show.  I do my own framing and it is also time to start addressing these invitations and preparing an e-blast invitation as well.  Thank goodness I have plenty of paintings and the day we hang the show I will bring more than I need and see what works best.  As  you can see there are nine of us and the space has not yet been divided up.

May Morning Above the Potomac, 24x30 oil on linen
      Here on the left is the finished version of "May Morning Above the Potomac".  Like I said, there were just minor things to tweak and you will have to look carefully to see the adjustments.  It is almost dry enough to blast with a layer of retouch varnish and frame.  This will be the last I frame for the Ratner show but it is not certain I will exhibit it.  It all depends on how much space I will have.  I am giving myself options by bringing two small plein air paintings that also work with the group.  I may eliminate this one and hang the two smaller works one over the other.  I hope there is enough space because I rather like this painting and it looks good with the others.

      I get asked about my frames a lot and want to give some information here.  I have a wonderful framer in Falls Church Art and Frame and when I do 1.5 inch deep, gallery wrap canvases I like to have them float framed.  I have those custom framed by Falls Church A&F because I just don't do it as well myself.  However, even with the extremely generous discount offered to me I find that with the volume of paintings I have to frame I need to do most myself.  Working on panels or standard 3/4 inch deep canvases gives me tons of options.  The two companies I order ready made frames from are Florida Frames and Classic Frames in Vancouver Canada.  Both companies are stellar.  Delivery is quick, quality is extremely good and I have never received a damaged frame.  The savings are huge!  I use offset clamps and with an electric screwdriver I find I can quickly pop in a painting and secure it.  I then cover the back with paper which protects walls from the screw heads on the clamps, wire it and I am good to go.  When I frame this painting I will photograph it framed so you can see how it looks.  I already have the others wrapped to travel but will upload images after we hang the show.  I am being consistent with my frames and all will be framed in espresso colored, 3 inch wood frames with hand rubbed gold highlights.
          More news tomorrow......I hope.  Happy Mother's Day to all the great moms who should be celebrated!
http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment