Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"Landscapes and Other Visions" Preview

My section of the show at the Ratner Museum
  This afternoon we hung the long anticipated landscape show at the Dennis and Phillip Ratner Museum in Bethesda Maryland.  There are nine of us exhibiting and the hanging went smoothly. We were all assigned a space according to the size of our paintings and I think everyone was happy with their placement.  I know I was

 This is the group I had planned on exhibiting and
I am pleased to be able to do so.  I also like the hanging rod system as it makes hanging a snap
and certainly takes care of the walls.  I just pray I tightened the screws on the sliding hook enough and the paintings don't start sliding down the rods. Al Laong who was hanging his paintings next to me had one of his pieces fall off and hit the floor.  Sadly his frame broke and the painting was removed from the show.  I wish I had done a last minute check of the screws but I was too busy gabbing and I forgot.  I am a worrier.  Perhaps I should have used two rods for the two larger paintings.  See what I mean...I obsess:)

Jane Hahler hanging her wonderful cityscapes
On the wall directly opposite my paintings are Jane Hahler's cityscapes. Both Jane and I like our color on steroids and I think it was a wise decision to have us opposite one another.  It balances the room.  Jane is also and Art Leaguer and was one of our solo exhibitors a couple of years back. 

Below is Bobbi Pratte who is on the faculty at the Art League School.  Bobbi is also a fellow ALPAP (Art League Plein Air Painter) and I will be attending her workshop at the Pennsylvania Lavender Festival for two days at the end of June. Seventeen of us are going and it will be FUN!
Bobbi Pratte hanging her Lake Barcroft Beach series
      Yesterday I posted about the Washington Society of Landscape Painters paint out in Middleburg on Sunday and I forgot to add the link.  It is http://wslp.org/  If you hit paint outs on the menu you can see photos of the paintouts from the last couple of years.  The history of the group is quite interesting and in the beginning it was men only!  WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?  Well, it was founded in 1917 and I guess they just didn't know any better.  I did play around with the painting from Sunday and I improved some things and botched others.  I will post it another time and I will keep it as a learning experience.  I want to experiment on it and I'll talk about that later. 

      If you live in the greater Washington area please consider yourself invited to the opening reception at the Ratner Museum this Sunday, June 3rd. It is from 1:30 to 3:30 and you can see some wonderful paintings and have plenty to eat and drink!  The address is 1001 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda, MD.
http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment