Thursday, September 20, 2012

Gypsy Update

Painting in Progress, 9x12 oil on gessoboard
      Back in July I posted images of my mare Gypsy in the isolation unit at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center where she had colic surgery and was hospitalized for 19 days.  She came home the first week of August and everything was progressing nicely...until it wasn't.  She ended up back in the hospital last week heading back down the colic trail but happily we nipped this one in the bud.  Both episodes occurred after severe storms that brought a dramatic change in climate.  We are quite certain there is a connection.  Anyway, she is back home and we are picking up where we left off.  I am able to ride her at the walk now and since the property she lives on is very hilly we go hill climbing.  Needless to say my commitment to her has really had an impact on my plein air painting this summer.  The current weather is entirely too good to miss so today I packed my gear and after our ride, with Gypsy happily back in  her stall munching hay, I set up under a large shade tree and started this painting of the barn.
     The broad path you see runs all through the various fields and that is what Gypsy and I go walking on every morning.  Over hill and dale you could say:)  The barn is a perfect subject to paint with its white walls and bright red roof contrasting with the greens and golds of the trees and grass and the brilliant blue sky.  This little painting is off to a good start and I plan to finish it tomorrow.  There is a lot to paint here so I think my Jeep will stay packed with my gear.  I miss painting with my plein air group but at least I am out painting!  Most of my friends prefer to paint in the morning but since it is now cooler maybe I can convince some of them to join me here.

     ON EXHIBIT:  "Sunrise, Sunset" opened Monday at the Salmagundi Club in NYC.  As explained in my last post this is a silent auction.  Bidding started on Wednesday the 19th and will continue until the exhibit closes on Friday, October 5th.  Go to www.salmagundi.org to read more.  You can call to place a bid (212-255-7740)
     There will be a lot on the schedule this fall so be sure to check back to see what will be where!

No comments:

Post a Comment