Monday, September 17, 2012

Show Opens at the Salmagundi Club

Summer Evening, Millwood Pond, 8x10 oil on linen panel
     Today the exhibit "Sunrise, Sunset" opened at the Salmagundi Club, 47 5th Ave. NY, NY.  As I talked about in my last post I have three paintings in this show and all are sunset views of Millwood Pond in Great Falls, VA.   The show is a fundraiser for the Club building fund and sales will be by silent auction.  In the spirit of the event I have made the amount for my opening bid on each painting very low, just $160 each.  I must say my hope is that all three will be purchased as a set.  I became quite used to looking at them in that way while they resided in my studio. However, what will be will be.  All three are framed as you see here.
     This year the Salmagundi is making sure our 1852, historic club house remains structurally and aesthetically sound.  It is the last remaining brownstone mansion on lower 5th Avenue and if you care to take the virtual tour at www.salmagundi.org you will see it is a stunning building.  Recently the television show "Law and Order" used the two parlors on the main floor to shoot one of their episodes.  It was sort of fun to see it in a different context.  Anyway, part of the plan was to return the large tray ceiling in the main gallery back to its original state which was a huge glass and iron skylight.  We were all excited about the prospect of all that natural light!  There aren't many galleries that could boast a ceiling like that.  However, further studies made it clear that the huge expense would have required taking out a loan and there would also be maintenance expenses after completion.  The Board voted to retain the existing ceiling (which is already incredibly nice) and just improve the gallery lighting.  I was a little disappointed but I have to say they made the right decision.  It is wiser to spend the money on less sexy but vital improvements.  Also wiser not to be in debt!  Hence the additional fundraiser.  I say additional because traditionally there is a live auction every fall and spring.  The fall auction will be coming up in October.  The other advantage is that we are back on the annual show schedule which was going to be disrupted because of the construction.  So, I had better get cracking and decide what I am entering and get the pieces framed!

No comments:

Post a Comment