Sunday, October 21, 2012

Morning on the Inlet

"Morning on the Inlet" 20x16 oil on gessoboard
     Here is the finished version of the painting I have been showing you in progress over the last two posts.  Actually I still have some rigging to add on the boat but at this point I want to have the paint really dry.  I usually don't wait this long to add details like rigging because I prefer to do lines like that by dragging the end of the handle of my brush through the wet paint.  Also there is less at stake at that point.  I didn't do that on this painting because the lines would be too light if scraped down to the ochre underpainting.  I would rather they be blue/gray and in shadow.  I will use my rigger brush, take a deep breath and just do the lines in single strokes.  I hope.

       As you can see I have given it a title.  The inlet referred to is the inlet  from the Cornell Boat House out to Lake Cayuga in Ithaca New York.  We were fortunate to have such a beautiful dawn to witness.

       ON EXHIBIT:  Just a reminder that the exhibition "Color Sphere" runs until November 2nd at the Art League Gallery in Old Town Alexandria.  My painting "May Morning Above the Potomac" won an honorable mention in this show.  The Art League Bin Gallery has my plein air painting "Fast Moving Clouds" on view for the same dates as "Color Sphere".
        ONLINE SHOWS:  American Artists Professional League 84th Grand National can be viewed at www.americanartistsprofessionalleague.org My painting "Camelot on the Potomac" is part of this show.
Also online is Audubon Artists Annual Show 2012 at www.audubonartists.org and my painting "Morning at River Bend" is part of that exhibit.

       Continued good news!  Today I received notice that my entry for the Salmagundi Club's Annual Member Exhibit, "Fifth and Waverly" has been accepted for that show.  That will take place at the Club in the Main Gallery and I will post an image and dates soon.

1 comment: