Friday, October 26, 2012

129th Annual Member's Exhibition

"5th and Waverly" 20x16 oil on gessoboard
     This is my accepted entry for this major exhibit at the Salmagundi Club.  I say major because it is the most historic exhibit held at the Club and the one that members submit their best work for.  We usually are able to submit 2 or 3 works to be juried for shows and can have all of them accepted.  This exhibit only allows us to submit one work.  I held several favorites in reserve for this show and I waffled back and forth about which one to submit.  I wondered if sending a NYC scene would be like sending coal to Newcastle or would it strike a cord.  Two of my three candidates were NY scenes.  Finally I chose "5th and Waverly".  I really enjoy this one and I really enjoyed painting it!  Go back on the menu to, I think, either August or September of 2011 and you can watch  the progress on this painting from the very first strokes.  Maybe it was July?  I should have checked first but you can find it.

     Well, Sandy the "Frankenstorm" is expected to arrive sometime on Sunday evening.  I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't feel sure we will be losing power again.  All you have to do is sneeze in this neighborhood and the power goes out.  Discouraging!  I am also annoyed with myself for procrastinating all month about getting out and painting.  October offered some beautiful days but I always seemed to have something else that needed doing and I kept feeling there was still enough time to paint the foliage.  This year peak color was reached early and now with this storm imminent I think it is fair to say we will be kissing the leaves good bye:(   Bummer.

      THE 129TH ANNUAL MEMBER'S EXHIBITION; Monday, November 5 through Friday, November 30, 2012.  The main gallery at the Salmagundi Club, 47 5th Ave., NY, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment