Thursday, November 15, 2012

"Different Paths", still in progress

"Different Paths" 18x24 oil on gessoboard
    We are back in town and I resumed work on "Different Paths" today. The only thing I don't like about this time of year is the shortness of the days.  I had to stop work around 4:00 because I had been working in natural light and when I turned the lights on I was concerned I would make changes I would later regret.  This really needs just one more session to complete and then I will let it sit for a time before I consider it finished.  This has gone as planned from the beginning so I think it will be a keeper.

      What is next?  I have a commission I need to start work on.  I have primed and toned the 24x30 gallery wrap canvas and will get it going this week.  The painting will be based on my 8x10 plein air painting "Clouds and Gulls".  Since that is one of the paintings that will be going to the Salmagundi Club for the annual Thumb Box Show in December I want to start the larger version right away since I will be working from the smaller painting.  I can photograph it but I would prefer to have the actual painting in front of me.  I will also be working on some drawings in preparation for two more paintings I am eager to start.  I will talk about them in an upcoming post and hope to have some sketches to show you.

        I know I posted an image of my recent painting "Daybreak on the Inlet" just short of completion so I now want to show you the finished piece.  I have been looking at it long enough to know I will leave it alone.  I debated whether or not to paint over areas where I let some of the underpainting show through but I like the effect and the coloration it gives to the clouds is in fact what nature does.  So, here it is...
"Daybreak on the Inlet" 20x16 oil on gessoboard

No comments:

Post a Comment