Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Good News!

"Rosslyn at Dusk" 12x24 (center) hanging with some mighty fine company!
     I have been painting with the Washington Society of Landscape Painters as a candidate for over 2 years now.  As a sponsored candidate I was invited to attend all of the monthly and mid week paint outs I wished to attend.  I was invited to exhibition receptions and had the pleasure of getting to know the fine artists who make up this group.  The society is strictly kept to 40 members and openings rarely come up.  Hence the wait list of candidates. Finally I was informed that I was next in line and that an opening had, indeed, come up this month.  So over the weekend I dropped off four paintings, my resume and whatever I had in the way of articles, show invitations etc.  My sponsor, Mark Ingraham, then had the not so enviable job of singing my praises, showing the paintings and letting the membership vote.  Happily I was given the thumbs up!  So, I am now a full member of this wonderful group. 
       It has an interesting history. Until 1993 only men could be members.  Hmmmm. This year they (we) are celebrating the 100th year of the organization.  You might find the history an interesting read and I can assure you that you will enjoy seeing the paintings.
The website is http://wslp.org  My page and gallery on the site is not yet up but it is in the works.

    Because it is the Centennial Celebration there will be some special shows this year.  Today I delivered 6 paintings for a WSLP show being held at American Painting Gallery on MacArthur Blvd. in DC. The gallery is owned by artist Andrei Kushnir who is also a member of WSLP.  One of my paintings "Rosslyn at Dusk" can be seen in the above photo hanging between the work of two of my favorite painters. I was very pleased to see another of my paintings placed on an easel at the entrance to the show.  I honestly didn't expect to be invited to exhibit in this show since it had already opened before I was juried in.  It is very good of Andrei to include me!  The gallery website is http://classicamericanpainting.com  There you can view a number of paintings in this show and tour the gallery.
Gallery owner Andrei Kushnir and a mighty fine Margaret Huddy watercolor hanging in the window!

No comments:

Post a Comment