Thursday, October 3, 2013

"Upriver From Chain Bridge"


                                            "Upriver From Chain Bridge" 40x30 oil on linen

      The painting shown here is currently on exhibit in the front window of the American Painting Gallery at 5118 MacArthur Blvd., NW Washington DC.  This is in a lovely part of DC known as the Palisades which overlook the Potomac.  I live on the other side of the river in McLean and the Chain Bridge is the bridge I cross when on my way to the gallery or to Georgetown.  I have always loved the bridge and the view from it.  It is hard to believe that this view is just minutes from such a major city as Washington DC.  It has not changed in all the years I have lived here nor will it change in the future.  Thank God for parkland! If you visit my website www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com and go to the landscape page you can see versions of this view and a painting of the bridge from down along the river.
        
          Here is a view of the painting in the window which I think is a terrific window in which to showcase a painting!  I am delighted to be represented by this gallery and look forward to seeing more of my work on the walls here.  The next show I will participate in will be the "Small Wonders" exhibit which will feature the work of the Washington Society of Landscape Painters.  That will be opening on November 23rd and I will post more information about it as the time grows closer.


      I thought fellow history buffs might enjoy seeing what the Chain Bridge looked like during the Civil War.  Today it is much more graceful in appearance and all that overhead wooden structure disappeared long ago. For those of you not familiar with this area the Chain Bridge is located just below Fort Marcy which was constructed during that war for the protection of Washington DC.  As you can see it was heavily guarded by Union troops.  Fort Marcy was ringed by a series of deep ridge works which added to the security of the fort and all the trees were cut down and lookout towers were erected. My house is built at the top of one of those ridges.  Today the fort is heavily wooded but the old cannon are still there as a reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment