Monday, July 14, 2014

In Progress; "July Evening on H St."

"July Evening on H Street" 16x20 oil on linen panel
      This is what is currently on my easel and it is nearing completion. I apologize for the poor photo quality but it was taken in the dimming light and I have not edited it. We are having yet another evening thunder storm and I think we can safely label this monsoon season. It sure is wet out there! As I am typing this I am aware that the rain has ceased and we are experiencing the same lovely golden glow in the sky that I have pictured here. Mother Nature is being generous :-) We get to enjoy a sunny day, get a good dousing to keep things fresh and green and then are treated to a light show. This painting was inspired by this July weather. I have been in the mood to paint another cityscape so I chose H Street looking west as my subject rather than a landscape.

        Soon this view will be dated. Art historians ( Should I be so fortunate) will be able to date the painting as being pre H Street trolley. This deduction will be due to the fact that running down the center of H Street will be the new, bright red trolleys which are being delivered this month. I will have to do another painting of the same location when they are up and running. I think they will be a wonderful subject!

ON EXHIBIT: " The Noble Nocturne" www.salmagundi.org
                         " Images of Washington DC 2014" www.classicamericanpainting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment