Thursday, July 24, 2014

Leaving My Comfort Zone

"Leaving Philly" 11x14 oil on panel

    I have been carrying this image in my head since the winter. In December when my husband and I were driving home from Philadelphia we experienced a beautiful sunset against which the jewel toned colors of the lights sparkled. I took several quick photos with my iPhone while sitting in traffic. What drew me to this particular scene was the purple blue of the illuminated industrial buildings in the distance against the warm tones of the sky, the curve of sparkling car lights and the twinkle of lights from the open work of the complex directly ahead.  I have never painted anything like this and I wasn't sure if I could.

     I became stuck nearing the finish on my 15th Street painting and decided it needed some closet time. I am not sure why this image flashed into my mind again but I suddenly had an urge to give it a go. I had a good panel at the ready which had already been toned with a mix of ochre and purple which I find a good base for nocturnes.  So, I did a quick color study in my sketchbook and liked what I saw. I went right to work using that study and my iPhone photo as a reference. I finished it quickly and am quite pleased with it. I was in new territory and felt happy that I was able to pull it off considering I hadn't had the confidence to attempt it before. The image may not appeal to many due to the subject matter but I will be framing it and will look for an opportunity to show it!

No comments:

Post a Comment