Thursday, September 22, 2011

Beginning 5th and Waverly


"5th and Waverly" 16x20 oil on gesso panel
      I thought you might enjoy once again seeing the progress on one of my paintings.  You know, the warts and all.  I just started this one today and it is another inspired by my August visit to New York. 
     As you can see, I used a yellow ochre underpainting and, working from a "thumnail sketch", I have begun forming the composition and deciding on the light and dark areas.  These are the first strokes and are very scribbly.  At this point all things are possible and I feel optimistic.  I love it when the painting just flows from start to finish and hate it when I hit the ugly duckling stage and don't know where to go with it.  I can't work on this again until Monday because I will be out of the studio until then.  Maybe I should have waited to start it because I hate workus interuptus!  I should have taken a photo of the sketch for you too and I will include one with my next post.  Hmmm, I just realized I didn't even bother to crop this one.  Busy, busy....much more later!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment