Saturday, September 3, 2011

Painting at Fletcher's Boat House on the Potomac


"Two Red Boats" Fletcher's on the Potomac, 11x14 oil on panel

Beginning to rain

I spent a very pleasant morning painting at Fletcher's Boat House on the Potomac with Jack Dyer and Donnie Seale, all of us members of the Art League Plein Air Painters.  Fletcher's is located just down from Georgetown in Washington DC and is a very popular place to rent canoes, kayacks and row boats.  The old stone boat house is located back from the river along the C&O Canal which is behind where I am set up.  The paths along the Canal were crowded today with joggers and bikers. I watched two boys paddle across the river to a spot where a wonderfully long rope hung from a tree for swinging out over the river and dropping in.  I have included an image of them below.  You can see one boy on the bank and the splash is the other one hitting the water:) I guess we are all trying to cram in the last of summer.  
     The day was overcast with skies frequently darkening and the thunder rolling only to burst into momentary sunlight.  I commited early to the cloudy day scene and stuck with it.  Towards the end I was glad I had my umbrella with me because it allowed me to stay in place when the rain started.
      There are so many enticing subjects to paint here that I know I will be back soon.  I want to paint the old, white boat house reflecting in the canal with a cluster of red canoes.  I also found a wonderful stream rushing over rocks towards the river with a charming rustic bridge. Even the boat rental shack reflecting in the water begged to be painted!  I came home feeling envigorated and wondering if I can find time on Monday for anther trip down.  If you live nearby I highly recommend a trip to Fletcher's!  http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/


A classic summer image






No comments:

Post a Comment