Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Gray Day Sunset

Sudden Sunset, November 21st
     I mentioned yesterday that we had had an all day gray day and I figured I would not be painting a sunset afterall.  Fortunately I had everything setup ready to start at 4:30 but it wasn't until the sun was practically set that there were sudden bursts of gold pushing through the clouds.  I know I said I was doing these in under an hour but this one had to be uber fast!  I was using the knife to get a load of paint on really fast and there was no possibility of refining.  I just put the colors down where I was seeing them and as close to how they appeared without stopping to do much mixing.
      It's not a bad expression of the moment but I wish the golden light wasn't sitting on top of the gray clouds.  I dragged the gray over the gold in some places but was too busy getting the color down to pay much attention to my edges.  This was an exercise after all and it served it's purpose.
       We left early for a favorite restaurant this evening as I was sure the milky gray sky was not going to reveal anything worth painting but for five minutes I was wrong again.  Still, after the speed of this painting I don't think I could have managed much in the even shorter time frame tonight!  After all, tomorrow is another day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment