Friday, November 4, 2011

Painting at Roosevelt Island Washington DC

My comfortalbe nook with a great view of Key Bridge and Georgetown
     So much for being a daily blogger.  It's just not going to happen.  Plain and simply there is just not enough time.  So what have I been up to all week you might ask.  Well, 90% of it was art related and depending on who you talk to that is either a good thing or makes me terribly negligent.
     I serve on the Board of the Art League and all of us serve on at least three committees.  That keeps the lot of us really hopping!  Tuesday I spent the day in the studio finishing off some small works to be ready to enter at the League next week and then for the Salmagundi Club's annual Thumb Box show.  That is their name for the small works show that they have been doing for years.  Wednesday I spent the day framing five paintings and varnishing, Thursday I was in Old Town to attend a meeting and to drop in to my favorite art gallery, The Principle Gallery on King Street.  I recommend it to all.

      Today, as you can see from the photo was spent with the Art League Plein Air painters on Roosevelt Island here in DC.  We all found wonderful little nooks to set up in that gave us great views of the Key Bridge and Georgetown across the water.  The only problem was that after a week of magnificent skies and fall color we had a flat, gray morning.  The good thing was the yellows really stood out.  Anyway, off we went to make what we could of it and fortunately I wasn't too far into the painting when the 20 mph winds came up.  No matter, I was solidly entrenched and warmly dressed and the wind chased the clouds and brought in beatiful blasts of sun.  My only complaint was my eyes watered so profusely there were times I couldn't see to paint:)  I amped up the colors a bit to go with the change and worked until I thought I had gone as far as I could with it for the day. Tomorrow I want to add some more strong color. When I started there was a bit of sandy beach exposed dappled with leaves so I painted that and eliminated the boulder.  When I finished the tide had come in covering the beach and I liked that better because of the reflections.  I took some photos so maybe tomorrow I will paint out the beach, put in more water and the boulder in the foreground.....or not.

       Just a reminder....."Along the Old Potowmack Canal "is on exhibit at the American Artists Professional League's 83rd Grand National http://www.americanartistsprofessionalleague.org/  which is being held at the Salmagundi Clubhttp://www.salmagundi.org/  Dick and I are travelling up on Sunday for the reception from 2:00 to 5:00 and I am really looking forward to it!

"Along the Old Potowmack Canal" 24x18 oil on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment