Wednesday, November 30, 2011

So, What's next?


The Lookout, 10x8 oil on linen panel
       I am back from our trip to the Outer Banks and you know from my earlier posts that while there I busied myself trying to paint the sun as it went down.  Three of the results were O.K. but only two would I consider framing.  I don't mind since that was not my goal.  It was a challenge and a lot of fun. 
      I hit the ground running when we got home because I found out while we were away that on Monday Art in the Embassies wanted to pick up my two paintings going to the U.S. Embassy in Soltje, Macedonia. "Spring Rush" and "Between the Sun and the Moon" are now on their way.They were framed and wired but it was time to varnish them and I wanted that done before they left.  Also on Monday I was shipping three small works to the Salmagundi Club in NYC for the annual Thumb Box show.  I sent the three I showed you in the "More Small Works" post.  That done I took an inventory of the studio and ordered more supplies.  OK, now I am all caught up and as I ask above....so, what's next?  Good question.
        The leaves are gone and all that beatiful fall color and golden days I loved being outdoors painting are gone as well.  Am I already in the winter doldrums?  Winter has its beauty too but I am just not into it yet.  I can look forward to snow on the ground because of all the beautiful colors reflected off of it.  Meanwhile I think I will look inward.  By inward I mean indoors.  I have included these two small paintings of interiors from last fall.  I have decided to paint "plein living room".  There I am seeing beautiful golden light and wonderful reflections off the floors.  I spent some time rearranging the living room furniture today and will set up my plein air easel when the sun is out.  I think it will be fun!  I have also been revisiting interior paintings by artists I admire.  Among contemporary painters I love the interiors of New York artists Jacob Collins and Greg Kreuz.  The 19th century interiors painted by Sargent, William Merrit Chase and Frank Benson are wonderful and I really must go back and look closely again at Vermeer. I am looking forward to both the studying and the painting! 

October Afternoon, 10x8 oil on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment