Friday, December 30, 2011

My Last Plein Air Painting of 2011?

"Winter Dune"8x10 oil on linen panel
     Maybe.  There is still tomorrow and I am sure I will want to get out and enjoy painting while this beautiful weather holds.  I am on the Outer Banks of North Carolina in a small town called Duck.  I love the winter light here! 
     The narrow path you see weaving along the top of the dune in this painting was not made by humans.  It is in fact a deer track.  In the warmer months the vegetation on the dune is very thick and prickly.  This is not a path you would want to follow at that time.  In the winter, however, it is quite easy.  This may not be a spot where you would expect to see deer but believe me they are here.  There are lots of dense thickets and groves of live oaks that provide comfortable homes for numerous rabbits, deer and fox.  Until recent years you would also encounter wild horses but the herd has been penned up in Corolla for its own protection.  I can remember when they were still roaming free and I miss that.  I would much prefer fewer houses and more horses!
Just before I took this photo a gust of wind came up and apparently I didn't have my panel secured tight enough.  The painting flipped forward and landed upside down (thank goodness) on the palette:)  The back of the painting now looks like an abstract as I used my palette knife and paper towels to clean it up as best I could.  I always carry painter's tape in my backpack and I wish I would remember to  place a wad of it behind the panel as an extra precaution.  If you are not new to this blog then you know this has happened to me more than once.  I am a slow learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment