Tuesday, December 6, 2011

On Exhibit

Evening Descends on Black Pond, 24x48 oil on canvas
     I spent the evening at the Art League Gallery in Old Town Alexandria where we just hung the December all media exhibit.  My painting "Evening Descends on Black Pond" was one of the paintings selected for the show.  It was interesting that the jurors selected so many very large pieces this month. As you can see by the dimensions mine is on the large side but it was dwarfed by some of the other pieces in the show.  I enjoyed the fact that there were so many large works probably because I have been attending all the small works shows that predominate at this time of year.  Also, I am delighted to have a little more room in the studio now that two of my large paintings have left for Macedonia and this painting will be on exhibit for a month at the Art League Gallery.  If I am lucky it will sell and find a happy new home. Those of us who hung the show felt we had had a real workout.  Seriously, it was very physical work this evening and we were short handed.  I forgot to ask how many works were accepted but I am guessing there were around 125 to 130.  It is a very striking and colorful show with all styles and medias represented.  If you are in the area it is a must see!
Red Roof, 11x14 oil on panel
     Also on exhibit at the Art League Bin Gallery for the month is "Red Roof" painted last winter.  Looking at it I do look forward to doing more snow pieces.  I only did two last year and I love the possibilities but have to find a better way to deal with the cold.  Last year some of the storms made driving prohibitive so I am hoping for moderate snow and a quick clearing of the roads. "Hope springs eternal".

http://www.theartleague.org/  http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

If you are in New York City you can see three of my small works at the annual Thumb Box Exhibit at the Salmagundi Club, 47 5th Avenue.  It will be running through the month of December and gallery hours can be found at http://www.salmagundi.org/  The paintings are "Rainy Night on Lower 5th", "The C&O Canal, Potomac Md." and "Morning at Wide Water, Potomac MD"

No comments:

Post a Comment