Sunday, December 4, 2011

Something New!

Interior Tonal Study, 8x6 oil on panel
      In my last post, which I was surprised to see was actually four days ago, I said I was going to embark on some interior paintings.  I am really getting interested in that. This tiny painting on the left is a tonal study I did from my studio.  This room is separated from the studio by glass pocket doors which I usually keep open.  I was in the studio sitting on the floor with my books on Sargent, Greg Kreuz and the American Impressionists and just had to do a study right then and there.  One of the reasons I wanted to do a tonal one is I had just read the prospectus for the annual Black and White show at the Salmagundi Club which is a show with a very long tradition and I would like to participate.  I had thought I would do drawings for it but then I decided I would rather do some oil sketches.  We can do black and white or sepia but can't add any color at all.  This little piece is a test run both for that show and for an interior painting.  I like this one.  I laid the paint on thickly and took a more sculptural approach than a drawing one. I am looking forward to expanding on it and doing it in color.  The rug has some wonderful blue and burgundy colors that will look great against the golden wood floors. 

     I know I have referred to the "pile" in the past.  That is the growing stack of failed plein air pieces done on various types of panels.  I said in one post that I keep them around both to remind me of what not to do but also because some have portions that have useful information for studio pieces.  However, these are tough economic times and there are a lot of really nice panels just sitting there begging for a coat or two of gesso.  So I took out some of the real stinkers and did just that.  This little study is painted over one of those failures. I'm glad I did it.

     When I write I forget that not all of you have been following this blog so I apologize for referring to paintings and events like you are supposed to know what I'm talking about!  In the last post I said that "Spring Rush" and "Between the Sun and the Moon" were picked up last Monday by the State Department's Art in the Embassies Program to be shipped to Soltje, Macedonia and the U.S Embassy there.  I didn't show you the paintings.  If you go to the blog Archive and look backwards to the post titled "I have almost finished my homework" which I think was in October you will find the paintings there and a link to Art in the Embassies. You can also go to my website http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/ and see them there. 

     I will be Christmas shopping all day tomorrow.  I have five grandchildren, need I say more.  I'll be back with more on interiors as soon as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment