Thursday, October 13, 2011

Finished! "5th and Waverly"

"5th and Waverly", 20x16 oil on panel
     I took "5th and Waverly" out of the closet today and decided I liked it as is and consider it finished.  In case you are a new reader you may not understand my reference to the closet, (see my earlier "Closet Finished" post). When I think a painting is complete I put it away in a closet near the studio for awhile.  This accomplishes two things...I get to see it again with fresh eyes, therefore, being more objective about it AND if it is out of sight I will not pick at it. I am fully capable of ruining a painting by not knowing when to stop.

     My vantage point for the painting is from under the Washington Square Arch looking up 5th Avenue.  Waverly Place runs along the north side of the Park.  What struck me that morning was the peacefulness of the scene.  It was more like Main St. than one of the busiest avenues in NYC.  Down here in the Village (Greenwich Village) the trees were more dominant than the buildings and people were out doing the quiet morning things people do everywhere.  Walking the dog, riding bikes, jogging etc.  Just another American town.

Morning, Washington Square Park
       I like the pairing of these two paintings inspired by the same morning.  Here you can just make out a side of the Arch behind the trees.  I had walked down this path to the arch and then stood below it and looked uptown.  Waverly Place was just outside the park on the other side of the foreground shrubs.  The light really was that golden!
      I plan to save these two and enter the both of them in a national show later this year.  For now they will be on view only on my website. At least they will be in a couple of days:)
http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment