Tuesday, October 4, 2011

More Progress

5th and Waverly, 20x16 oil on panel (in progress)
      I made some more progress on the 5th Avenue painting today concentrating on putting in some of the traffic lights and indicating where the street signs and more cars will go.  I am still refining the buildings in the foreground but don't have far to go there.  I need to keep this fresh and not too detailed. I am at the fun part where I can feel the painting beginning to come alive.  I am surprised at how much pleasure I am getting out of painting a cityscape and I will plan some plein air outings downtown in Washington DC this fall. 
     I ordered more materials and frames today in preparation for some "small works".  As we enter the holiday season there are a number of Small Works shows at various galleries.  The Art League will be having theirs in November and the painting surface can be no larger than 8x10 inches.  The overall size, including frame, can be no larger than 10x12. I have a number of 8x10's already painted but they are already framed and don't meet the requirements so I will do more.
     Speaking of the Art League....I just came home from hanging the October All Media show (which is a beauty !) and the Altars and Reliqueries Show. Unfortunately the paintings I submitted for the all media show were not included this month.  Actually, there are no traditional landscapes at all in this show.  There are a few traditional drawings but the bulk of the exhibit is abstract and I would say our membership is very strong in that area. My work years ago was exclusively abstract and seeing a show such as this makes me wonder if I want to take a stab at it again.  However, as I drove home along the Potomac with a spectacular sunset overhead reflecting in the water and the various crews out for evening practice I decided no, I have found what I really want to paint. 
     Although not in the all media show I do, however, have my plein air painting, "Two Red Boats" on exhibit in the Art League's Bin gallery which is immediately adjacent to the main gallery.



Two Red Boats, 11x14 oil on panel
ON EXHIBIT, The Art League Bin Gallery


No comments:

Post a Comment