Tuesday, October 11, 2011

In the Spirit of the Season

Evening Descends on Black Pond, 24x48 oil on canvas

      The Black Pond along the Potomac River has been a favorite destination of mine for years.  I used to ride my mare Lucy here on a regular basis and I have taken numerous hikes here with my granddaughter Sian. It is a special place.  I have painted it a number of times and this particular painting was done in the studio last fall and is based on the small plein air painting also on this page.  I had a number of referance photos to help me enlarge the image to this elongated, horizontal format.
     Since being at the pond late enough for the sun to be setting to this degree would mean hiking back in the dark, I relied on what I know about the sky and the reflections in the pond at other times of the day.  Even in the smaller painting, which was actually painted during the afternoon hours,I adjusted the colors and light to this time of evening knowing I wanted it to be a study for the larger piece.

    I hope to exhibit this large painting at the Art League Gallery sometime this year.  The little one has already found a happy home!
The Black Pond, 14x11 oil on panel

No comments:

Post a Comment