Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Blue and White Day

Painting from the west side (Sound side) deck today
    I reported in my last post that we are back here on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and after several foggy, gray days the skies cleared.  The last two days have been magnificent! I took advantage of the gray days to relax, read and recharge my batteries, the three Rs.  Yesterday I went into the village and along the sound for a photo shoot.  I didn't have enough time to paint as I had some seasonal work to do back at the house. Clean deck furniture, make a list of things to be fixed and take stock of the garden.  The latter is in surprisingly good shape with a lot of things blooming.  I should probably paint it before we leave. 
      Today I was itching to paint!  The light was almost blinding it was so intense.  Everything was brilliant blue and white only slightly interupted by the gray green of the land and buildings.  We are located on a neck of land less that a quarter of a mile wide.  We are bordered by Currituck Sound on one side and the Atlantic Ocean on the other.  Talk about brinksmanship!
     If you could have experienced the skies here today it would have seemed pointless to paint anything else.  I decided to paint from the west side of our house overlooking the Sound because it was very windy and I was able to find a shady spot with protection from the strong southerly gusts.  Thunderstorms were threatened and I wanted to be able to move quickly remembering a close call this time last year!

"Carolina Blue" 11x14 oil on linen panel

No comments:

Post a Comment