Monday, April 14, 2014

Blooming!

"The Lover's Pool" Dumbarton Oaks, 30x24 oil on linen


      This weekend was spectacular! All the more so because it was a brief gift and we are heading into rain and cooler temperatures. I crammed as much into the two days as I could and the only time I spent indoors was at the end of the day. I rode my horse, painted outdoors and visited my favorite garden, Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown. For those of you not familiar with Washington DC Georgetown is one of the oldest sections of the city and it is filled with wonderful Federal style homes and some of the finest gardens in the country.

      The painting above was painted a couple of years ago and it depicts a very charming corner of the garden. I remember that day well and while I was photographing the pool there were children running up and down the hill, people strolling around the pool but there was one figure that stood out. That was the man sitting by himself quietly contemplating the pool. Stories about him ran through my head and I knew this was to be a painting. Yesterday I was surprised to find the pool drained of water and some strange black, vertical fixtures sticking up from the floor. I was disappointed but something interesting is going to occur there. In May there will be a Landscape Symposium held at the garden and sound and scent will be added to this area. I don't know if that will be permanent but I will go back to experience it.

        I never did make it to the Tidal Basin for the cherries but Cherry Hill at Dumbarton Oaks and my very own cherry provided plenty of pleasure and inspiration. Tourist season is in full swing and the traffic and parking situation was crazy. The line to get into Dumbarton Oaks was down the block and in all the years I have lived here this is the first time I have experienced that.
       I did, however, do my annual cherry tree painting. This year I chose to paint from a rear deck so I could be right up in the tree. Below is a photo of the painting in progress and I will finish it from the same spot this afternoon. I came home too late yesterday to finish it. I am tired and sunburned but ready for more Spring painting! If you would like to see more of Dumbarton Oaks here is a link
www.doaks.org


No comments:

Post a Comment