Saturday, April 12, 2014

Second Post for "Lafayette Square"

"Lafayette Square" 16x20 in progress
      Here is the latest incarnation of "Lafayette Square" after I worked on it yesterday afternoon. If you compare it to the last post you can see at least one of the figures I have decided on (selected from the sketchbook figures I showed you) and can also see I have painted out another. I made a few minor alterations around the painting and quit before having to turn on the studio lights. I had gotten a late start because yesterday and this weekend are going to be outdoor days for me. The weather is spectacular and Spring has arrived in full force, bursting out as soon as the temperatures soared into the 70's and 80's.

       I get really excited in the spring and the ephemeral aspect of it instills a sense of urgency in me. I don't know where to go first! Fortunately I don't have to go far and I have worked out a plan for the next few days. Today,after giving my mare Gypsy her first bath of the season, I will come home and paint in my rear garden where I will be standing under a canopy of pink and white blossoms. My cherry and pear trees are huge, mature trees and are truly magnificent. The pears have grown in such a way that they form a large Gothic arch where the converge. This is my favorite season, I am so inspired by it, however, I find it ironic that it is the most difficult one for me to paint. I have only done one cherry tree painting that has pleased me. Still, each year I rise to the challenge and Mother Nature is giving us warmth and sun this year to make that possible.

      I believe everywhere is beautiful in the spring but I must say that Washington DC is particularly so during this season. Tomorrow I will head to the Tidal Basin to photograph our world famous cherry trees. Traffic will be insane but it will be worth it. By Tuesday they will be gone as we are expected to have wind, rain and cold. That said I feel compelled to squeeze in a trip to my favorite garden in DC, Dumbarton Oaks. That will be on Monday and the forsythia display there is unique and stunning. I had better check my yellow paint supply!

     I will leave you with another page from my sketchbook. I had stone masons working in the rear garden this week replacing a retaining wall beneath the cherry tree. It was a nice opportunity to add to my "figures for paintings" collection. These men were true artisans and the stone wall they built is a beauty.
       PS. Do check the Salmagundi website as photos of all the paintings in the Annual Member Exhibit are now posted. The new main gallery is complete and it honestly is one of the finest galleries I have seen. The state of the art lighting system is impressive.! www.salmagundi.org



No comments:

Post a Comment