Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"The Silver Creamer"

"The Silver Creamer" 8x8 oil on clear primed linen
     I painted this little study from life yesterday in my studio. It was a cold, windy, rainy, snowy, complete yuck of a day!  I didn't want to continue work on "Lafayette Square" under studio lights so after a house cleaning frenzy, which included polishing silver, I had a sudden inspiration.  Instead of cursing the care of these family heirlooms I decided to give them new life as subjects for some paintings. I love painting reflective surfaces, hence so many landscapes featuring water, so why not paint silver and other shiny "stuff" around the house when confined to quarters. I had a great time with this!

     I have painted only four still life paintings and probably as many figurative ones. It is clear where my passion lies. I want to be outdoors and I want to paint what I experience there. Still, I was aware yesterday of all that can be learned from painting objects and the same can be said for people and animals. I think such work might enhance my landscapes and keep me from getting stale. So why didn't I do this during the winter? Well,  I am sure there will be plenty of rainy days and blistering hot ones so stay tuned.

If you would like to see more of my very few other still life, people and animal paintings please visit my website www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com. and click "People and Things" on the menu. You may recognize this same creamer in the painting "Jesse Waiting". I hope you enjoy the visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment