Friday, February 10, 2012

"Camelot on the Potomac"

"Camelot on the Potomac", 30x24 oil on linen
      Today I painted on "Camelot" for the second time and I think just one more session should do it.  Sorry about the glare on the image but I photographed it at night and the studio lights reflect off the canvas.
      I have found my castle.  I am going to transplant the Georgetown Reservoir castle and relocate it here on the Potomac north of the Chain Bridge. I wonder if anyone will recognize it.  The castle is what made me decide to title the painting "Camelot on the Potomac" which seems appropriate since once there was a time when Washington was referred to as such.  I am dating myself.  The Kennedy administration was sometimes called Camelot.
     For those of you who are not from this area you might be wondering how far away from the city this spot is.  The city is not five minutes away.  If you were to turn in the opposite direction, take one curve more of the river you would see Washington appear as a lovely white city rising above the river and the trees.  The sunset turns it to gold. It never ceases to inspire me that we have this incredible natural beauty just a stones throw from one of the world's major cities.  The George Washington Memorial Parkway parallels the river on the left and there are times when I am driving home that I really have to concentrate on the road because the light show over the Potomac can be an alluring distraction.  Fortunately there are a couple of overlooks to pull into to watch the show.  I don't know how many times I have kicked myself for not having my camera with me. So that is why I can pull this out of my head and paint it. It has been imprinted there.

No comments:

Post a Comment