Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday In Georgetown with the WSLP

Lock #4  12x12 oil on panel (in progress)
      Once again I will have to say I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS FEBRUARY! Wahoo!  Another great day of painting outdoors.  This time was with the Washington Society of Landscape Painters who paint together the last Sunday of each month.  I arrived in Georgetown at about 8:45 this morning and was astonished at how quickly I found a parking place.  I can tell you by 10:00 that was not the case.  The day started out quite chilly but as usual I dressed in layers and was very comfortable. 
       When I started the painting I was standing in the shade and put down my shadows as they appeared at that hour.  As the angle of the sun changed I found myself in full sun and probably should have taken the time to set up my umbrella because when the sun is on the canvas the colors I put down seem brighter than they really are.  I knew when I got home I would have raise my light areas to a higher key.  The sun just felt so wonderful!  The other thing I did was start to change where the lights and darks appeared going with the changing light.  That is usually a no no but I liked the brighter light hitting the buildings on the right.  I took a number of photos so I can make changes to make the painting consistent with the position of the sun.  One of the WSLP painters picked up on that at critique time.  I told him he had indeed caught me in a flim flam:)
What I was painting
I will work on this during the week.  There is not much to do except improve on the trees, hit the right lights and darks and add more of the shadow patterns.  The lock and the cascade of water could use some improvement as well.  I'll try to get to it tomorrow while it is still wet.  I think this will be a keeper and escape "the pile".

     I am working on getting the word out about the Salmagundi Auction and have designed an announcement that I have been emailing to friends, family and collectors.  I do hope everyone takes the time to check the Salmagundi Club website and preview the auction http://www.salmagundi.org/  Just go to the site and follow the 2012 Salmagundi Auction to the auction link.  You can see all the paintings there.
http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment