Monday, January 14, 2013

3rd Session on "Above Cayuga's Waters"

"Above Cayuga's Waters", 24x30 oil on linen
     I have almost finished this one and if I had started earlier today I would have.  I want to work on the shoreline and when you click the image to enlarge it you will see I have scratched in an indication of masts and rigging that will belong to some sail boats docked in front of the central group of trees.  I am sure there will be other minor tweaking before I am finished.

      The scene is on Lake Cayuga in Ithaca New York and viewed on the top of the hill is Cornell University. The title is taken from the first line of the Cornell alma mater, "Far above Cayuga's waters with its waves of blue reared against the arch of heaven looks she proudly down".
      Just indicated in the mist is the Clock Tower on the right and second from the left is the I.M. Pei Johnson Art Museum.  My husband and I were out on a launch on the lake at dawn early this fall.  The mist had already lifted from the surface of the lake and had just made it over the trees.  There were so many beautiful moments that weekend.  I will have to do some paintings from memory and maybe use some photos to use as light references.  This one was a composite of three photos I took from the launch.  I combined the sky as it appeared in one with the view of Cornell in another and the shoreline with sailboats from a photo taken further up the lake.  Together I think they make a good composition.

Gypsy and me enjoying the mist on Sunday here in Mclean
    Speaking of mist.....Yesterday, Sunday, four members of the ALPAP's (Art League Plein Air Painters) were to join me to paint above the Potomac from the property where Gypsy lives.  We were hoping for the promised sun breaking through the fog in the afternoon to provide some beautiful atmospheric affects to paint.  Instead we had a white out.  As the fog thickened the mist became heavier and we decided to try again next week.  Jack Dyer soldiered on and when his paper was too wet to sketch on he reverted to photography.  I know he got some good shots around the stable area.  I took the opportunity to give Gypsy some exercise and Jack took some wonderful photos of us.  It is rare for me to have photos of the two of us together as I am usually behind the camera.  Looking at her here it is hard to imagine I was so close to losing her in July.  She has made an amazing come back!

       The paintings from yesterday's post are on their way to New York.  They will be on exhibit in the Main Gallery at the SALMAGUNDI CLUB www.salmagundi.org from JANUARY 21st to FEBRUARY 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment