Thursday, January 24, 2013

It Snowed!

"Morning Snow", 9x12 oil on linen panel
    If you read yesterday's post then you know there aren't many winter scenes among my paintings.  I find winter a difficult season to paint except when there is snow.  There has been a real shortage of the white stuff this year and last.  So, when I awoke to a snowy morning I knew I had to seize the moment.  Although the brilliant sunlight warmed the scene I quickly found out how VERY cold it was outdoors.  The wind kicked up and made it worse.  I didn't even attempt painting outside when all I had to do was look out the window:) 

      I only had an hour and a half to work because I needed to leave for an appointment which took up most of my afternoon.  By the time I got home this light was long gone but, as usual, I had some digital photos to refer to.  I had all the major shapes and light and darks in place and had established my palette so I could easily finish in the studio.  I did use Prussian blue along with utlramarine and cerulean.  I mentioned yesterday I had used Prussian blue for the first time while painting that copy of George Bellows' painting "The Palisades".  I could tweak this a little but I don't think I will.  I would rather keep it in the moment so to speak.
        More snow is promised tomorrow but I won't be home until afternoon.  I hope I will be uploading a new winter scene, perhaps from the rear of the house? We shall see.....
www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com  www.salmagundi.org

No comments:

Post a Comment