Friday, April 13, 2012

Another Beginning

"The Orangerie" 11x14 oil on linen panel
    I just started this little painting this afternoon.  It is the view from the Orangerie at Dumbarton Oaks in Washington DC.
Dumbarton is my favorite garden here in DC and it is considered one of the great gardens in the world.  It was created by Beatrix Jones Farrand in the 1920's.  When I was studying Landscape Design at George Washington University I spent a lot of time here and as an artist I am drawn to it.  I showed you the painting I did of the Lover's Pool at Dumbarton in one of my posts last month.  I have been trying for some while now to get permission to paint on site but so far no luck.  The garden does not open to the public until 2:00 in the afternoon and I would love to see it in the morning.  Needless to say I have relied on my photos for reference while painting .  I am using an alla prima plein air approach here as I want that freshness that I would have if I were actually painting there.

      Still no title for the painting of Key Bridge I showed you in yesterday's post.  I have a number of paintings of this bridge titled "Key Bridge" at a time of day or season and would like to come up with something different.  I suppose I could call it "Rosslyn" but somehow the painting needs a title with a little more punch.

      Last night I said I would tell you about the sculpture competition I competed in during the evening.  I was hoping it would be up on the Art League Blog so I could send you there to see the photos and read about it but nothing is up yet.  So, I will give you the background. In order to sponsor the April show "Earth", the League of 25 was created which was made up of 25 people contributing $100 each as sponsors.  I became a League member.  All League members were invited to participate in a team sculpture competition the night of the opening reception.  Dutifully I showed up.  I had no idea I would have so much fun!  The junk that was collected for us to work with was wonderful.  Each team had 5 minutes to come up with a concept and plan the attack then each member had 3 minutes relay style to add to the sculpture. Everyone went twice. Glue guns and a large, amused audience were provided.  My team chose to create a tower with a forest theme and the plastic and other detrius of man that pollutes it.  Somehow this morphed into "Cocktail Hour in the Enchanted Forest":)  While not exactly a thing of beauty it was funny and got the point across.  The competition was juried and our team won!  Yay team!  I was touched to find that as winning team members we each received a whimsical little print by deceased Art League artist Nancy Reinke.  Nancy's work was always much loved by me and I wish I had gotten to know the artist before she passed away at much too young an age.
http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment