Saturday, April 21, 2012

New Scribbles

Beginning of "The C&O Canal at the Old Anglers Inn"
18x24 oil on gessoboard
      Once again I am going to show the progress of a new painting.  I have heard from a number of people telling me they appreciate being able to see the process.  I feel the same way about the work of other artists.  I love seeing the varied approaches and there is always something to learn.  Currently this is my preferred way to start a painting.  If I can find them and upload them here I will show you the two little 6x8 studies I did of this site last October.  I am basing this painting on them but as I tend to prefer to paint the season I am in I am adjusting it to show the new, lush spring foliage. 

       I only have the vertical painting I did which was the first study and will have to rely on a photo of the second painting which sold at the Salmaguni Club's Thumb Box show last December.  I like that composition better.  I find I am working more and more often on gessoboard and love the way it takes the paint.  I do, however, prefer to rough up the surface a little by laying on my own layer of gesso rather thickly and letting the brushstrokes show through.  That creates little grooves that grab the paint and make the surface more interesting.  At least to me.     http://www.jeanschwartzpaintings.com/


1st study 6x8 oil on gessoboard

2nd study oil on gessoboard SOLD
getting underway, first colors

No comments:

Post a Comment