Monday, April 23, 2012

April Looks Like May

"Spring on the C&O Canal" 18x24 oil on gessoboard
     Since this painting was finished in just one more session I didn't have any more "in progress" photos for you. Lately my paintings seem to be coming together more quickly than usual.  This one, like the Key Bridge painting, just seemed to flow.  I think it has to do with the time of the year and having trees in foliage again.  Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons and I am inspired by the stronger colors, particularly in the morning and evening.  I feel happy when I am working with the palette of colors I have used in these most recent paintings. Golden light and dark shadows seem to be a dominant theme for me right now.  That is a good thing as I now have a series of paintings that work well with one another.

       Looking at this painting I am impressed by how lush the vegetation is for April.  As I look out the window it feels more like May and roses that usually don't bloom until then are already in bloom over my back fence.  By comparison this small plein air painting I did last April (April 10th 2011) standing in a sheep meadow in Waterford Virginia looks more like late winter.  This year has been so mild compared to 2011 and it seems as though we didn't really have a winter. 
"Waterford Sheep Meadow" 11x14 oil on panel
                           

No comments:

Post a Comment