Friday, March 8, 2013

A Very Windy Day!

"The Farmhouse, Windy Day" 6x8 oil on linen panel
    The last two days have been relatively mild but you would never know it thanks to the gusty, 30/40 mile per hour winds.  It is fair to say that March is coming in like a lion.  That's OK if the lion keeps producing light shows like this!  The clouds were racing across the sky and the light was intense producing radiant edges to the clouds against the clear blue of the sky.  Add to that some remaining snow and I had a great moment to preserve in paint!  I keep mentioning how much fun these paintings are and this one was a particularly good time.

      I spent most of the day painting and I worked on the Currituck Sound painting I posted about yesterday.  The lower portion of the painting is working well but I have become unhappy with the sky.  I am considering making a major change.  When I get like this I have found it wise to banish the painting for a short time and reconsider so it is off to the closet for a couple of days.  If, when I take it out I feel the same way there will be a major change on the way.  I am not exactly sure what I will do but I will follow my instinct.

       It is time to think about what I want to paint next.  I am giving serious consideration to a large version of this Farmhouse painting but I think it is the sky that is making me feel that way.  Perhaps I will unite that sky with a different scene.  There are also more Outer Banks paintings to consider so I think I shall be working on more than one painting at a time.  I am glad it is the weekend and I have more time to work.  The studio is cozy and from the photo below you can see my dogs feel the same way:)
Studio Mates: Clockwise from the top, Twinkle, Ginger and Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment