Sunday, March 3, 2013

This Weekend's Work

Day one of painting
     On Friday I started a new painting inspired by our trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina last week.  We spend a lot of time there and both the Atlantic Ocean and Currituck Sound provide many beautiful scenes to paint.  This painting is the view looking south on the Sound from the dock across the street from our house.

     I started with an underpainting of yellow ochre, burnt sienna and burnt umber using those colors to grade from lighter to darker from the top of the painting down.  I then did a rough sketech in sienna and umber and called it a day.
     Saturday I began laying in some color and used the technique of putting the color down and taking some off to let the underpainting show through. Then I lay on a slightly different color and repeat the process.  I continued doing that today until I had the canvas well covered with paint and had sheer layers of color.  Late in the afternoon I began working on bringing the grass forms to life and working with more opaque applications of paint.  I stopped when it started to get dark because with sheer layers like this the light really affects the color.  The image below is where I left off today.  Now I want to let the paint in the sky area dry so I can do some glazing with wet paint on dry.  However, I will continue to work wet on wet in the lower part of the painting.  I hope you enjoy it!
Day three of painting
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment