Thursday, March 7, 2013

More Progress

In Progress, Untitled, 24x30 oil on canvas
     This is the painting I started last weekend and you can see the first stages of it from my blog post on Sunday.  Maybe it was Saturday?  Time just flies.... I talked about the start up and working wet into wet.  Then I let the painting dry so that I could work thin layers of wet paint back over the underpaintings and that is what I did today.  If you compare this to the first stages you will see that I painted out the clouds I had roughed in.  I did so because I did not like where they were located, nor did I like the forms.  I let the little snippet of one of them remain because I think I will use it.  I worked all afternoon and stopped when it started to get dark out.  I had just begun work on the dock.  The painting still requires a good deal of work but the main decisions have been made.  I do need to sketch out some clouds to see what will work best here.  What I like to do in a situation like this is to print out the photo of the painting as it is and then use pastels to sketch in clouds.  I can print several copies and try different things.  Hooray for technology!

     This photo almost has the colors right but not quite.  I find this light effect very difficult to photograph. Also the photo makes it appear that there is a ripple in the canvas.  That does not exist, it is simply glare from the surface.

      I do not have a title for this yet.  I have done so many Currituck Sound paintings that I have used up many titles that come to mind.  This was an evening week before last so maybe February should figure in the title.  I'll think about it as I work.

This little guy was standing at the entrance to the dock when I went out to take photos. He wasn't very skittish.

No comments:

Post a Comment