Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Some Days Don't Go as Planned

"First Snow"9x12 oil on linen panel
      Three artist friends and I had a wonderful plan to drop off our entries at the Art League today for the monthly juried show and then jump in Lisa's van and head into DC to visit the American Art Museum, have lunch and get back to the Art League in time to hang the show.  We have all been members of the "Hanging Committee" for years and enjoy spending time together.  Add to the experience that the pre snow weather today was warm and sunny and you can get the picture of a rather idyllic day. Sadly it did not work out that way for me.

I have three elderly dogs and an elderly horse. Instead of meeting my friends I ended up following up on my equine vet's instructions for Gypsy who has a bum leg and a cold and then had to make an emergency trip to the vet with one of my cocker spaniels, Twinkle. That took the rest of the afternoon.  I love them dearly so I would not have considered doing otherwise.  I did, however, make it in time to hang the show which is a beauty this month.  I wish I had had a crack at entering.  I was happy to see that my friends had their work accepted and Tom even got an honorable mention!  Good job guys!

      ON EXHIBIT IN THE ART LEAGUE BIN GALLERY is the above painting, "First Snow".  Considering we are about to get a major dumping of the white stuff I think it appropriate.  The Bin Gallery, for those of you who are not familiar with it, is the room at the gallery where those of us who have been juried in to at least three shows each calendar year are allowed to exhibit each month unjuried.  We can hang one work on the walls and keep five in the bins.  Happily I have already made the three show quota for this year so I am good for yet another year in this space.  Sales are generally good in the Bin Gallery so I am loathe to loose the privilege.

Twinkle after phase I of "Snowmageddon" in 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment